Summertime is an uplifting performance by urban youth expressing the joy of summer in the city! Young people growing up in the city must make choices everyday. These choices are complicated because of dynamics at home and within the community. Our story follows a young person as they walk through various relationships and experiences, explore their deeply rooted struggles and realities, and learn what it means to choose well.
- a unique expression of culture, story, and the performing arts
- presented by urban youth from the Westside of Chicago (Austin)
- great entertainment for the entire family
- exploring the power of dance, acrobatics, drums, and spoken word
Summertime is presented by LIFT Performing Arts, a program of Circle Urban Ministries. LIFT exists to empower and equip youth for life, through the disciplines of the arts and performance. In addition, LIFT has grown to produce high quality productions and performances, and teams have the opportunity to engage in youth development programs unique to any other ministries in the Chicago area. The purpose of the “Summertime” production is to grow and develop youth, develop resources for LIFT programs, and to tell the story of life in the city for a child.
* In Austin, 31% of adults 25 and over do not have a high school diploma
* 84% of adults 25 and over do not have a college degree, associates or higher
* 21% unemployment rate
* 30% of families are below the poverty line
* In 2008 Austin had the highest number of drug arrests in the City of Chicago
* In 2008 Austin was 1 of 3 highest communities for violence against youth
* Focus on Mentorship
* Foster Team-building Skills
* Grow Self-Confidence & Self-Esteem
* Teach Acceptance of Responsibility
* Challenge the Mind & Body
* Improvement in Academics
We hope you will join us for this year’s performance of “Summertime” – it will be bigger, brighter, and better than ever! The performance is FREE yet you will be given the opportunity to give if led to do so. These gifts are not just appreciated, but crucial to help fund the LIFT programs and redemptive work of Circle Urban Ministries.
For more information about “Summertime” please contact Paul Canada, LIFT Program Director, at 708.724.4674. Stay connected with us on Facebook @ facebook.com/CircleUrbanLIFT.
Thank you for helping us mentor and make an impact on the youth of Chicago!